radio recordings using latest gip version

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sun Aug 26 08:43:44 PDT 2018

On 26/08/18 11:05, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> Until yesterday I've been using an old version of gip to fetch radio
> programmes. This is on my usual "Ain't broke" -> "Don't fix" basis.
> However yesterday when I tried to get the latest set of R3 Proms files
> it failed for the items that started with the pids that begin with 'm'.

The first prom with an m prefix seems to be Prom 52, m00006pc.  I have
just tried to download it with get_iplayer 3.17 using hafhigh and
dafhigh. There did not appear to be any problem, although I did not run
the downloads to completion.  The default modes were hafhigh1 and
dafhigh1, both of which used the Limelight CDN.

I was a bit too slow starting downloads of Proms.  I missed Prom 1
(although I did get the headphone version of The Planets).  I had
problems similar to the ones you describe with Proms 2 and 3 (with a b
prefix) with the Akamai CDN (hafhigh2).  These went away when I retried
with the Limelight CDN (hafhigh1) which was also a lot faster.  I have
not had any further problems since.

I generally prefer Akamai for television programmes, but it may not be a
good choice for radio.

Best wishes
Richard