OT: A few ffmpeg queries

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 05:04:10 PDT 2017

In article
<CAL=0gLsoZxOzk+uXWy-HXA0mCeT9MdLMUFQsPzXJqQThV0aRUg at mail.gmail.com>,
   Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Remember ffmeg has no customers, no-one pays for it. The documentation
> is maintained by the community (I assume).  Documentation for open
> source is always a problem as few are prepared to put in the time and
> effort required.

Agreed and understood. Yet people have written decent books about how to
use, for example, GIMP. Given how many people these days want to manipulate
and watch/listen to AV material at home I suspect someone could get a
return from writing a decent book on ffmpeg. The difficulty is that they
have to both have a good understanding of how to use it *and* be able to
write clearly at length as well as be motivated.

I can quite understand *why* it hasn't happened, but the lack does, I
think, simply mean people keep re-inventing wheels or use ffmpeg under the
hood of other programs without tackling the basic need for *user*
documentation.

Jim

--
Electronics  https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm