OT: A few ffmpeg queries

Mark Carroll mtbc at ixod.org
Fri Sep 8 03:54:20 PDT 2017

On 08 Sep 2017, Alan Milewczyk wrote:

> Couldn't agree more, it's the big failing of the IT industry. Manuals
> detailing features are not what customers want, they require "how to"
> tutorials. I had a look at some Youtube videos but in the end the best
> help I got was from a guy on Stackoverflow.com who gave a concise answer
> to the multiple audio streams issue:
>
> To copy all streams do this ....
> To copy all audio streams do this ....
> To copy only 2nd audio stream do this ....
>
> For the first time I understood the relevant options listed in the help/man.

In fairness to ffmpeg, its manpage's not-tiny "EXAMPLES" section /does/
include a command that uses "-c copy" with the correct syntax also
provided by Vangelis. They do try, they may just not always have a howto
that fits exactly what you want so you have to look through a few. I've
similarly found helpful the "EXAMPLES" section from manpages for related
tools like mplayer.

-- Mark