A few ffmpeg queries

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Thu Sep 7 16:07:08 PDT 2017

On 07/09/2017 22:19, RS wrote:

> Glad to hear you’ve got it working, so I’ll just make a couple of even
> further off topic comments.
>
> A few weeks ago we were talking about HE-AAC and SBR support.  Out of
> curiosity I looked through descriptions and reviews on Amazon to see
> if any satellite receivers supported HE-AAC.  Some of the Humax ones
> do.  It seems from the reviews that some Humax models encrypt their
> recordings so they can only be played back on the machine that made
> them.  It sounds as though you have been lucky with your choice of model.

Actually the Humax Foxsat-HDR is no longer being made. HD is encrypted
but there is Custom Firmware and a patch that enable you to access HD
recordings without problem and do all sorts of other wonderful things.
(For example, you can set up a  recording schedule using your PC or
indeed a mobile phone - as I can access my home PC during my annual 4
months in the Philippines I am able to organise recording schedules from
over 7000 miles away!) AFAIK this isn't possible with any other Humax. I
certainly wasn't aware of all this when I got it 6 years ago. I recently
saw a Linux based quad-tuner PVR on the net and I guess when my Hummy
dies, I'll have to look to something like that.

As the Humax records some programmes with two audio streams (the
standard plus a Narrative stream), following Vangelis' advice I spent an
hour or so this afternoon making sure that ffmpeg remuxes the correct
audio stream. Lifelong learning! Great fun!

---