Proxy trouble with latest version

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri Oct 27 09:48:39 PDT 2017

 On Thu Oct 26 09:51:53 BST 2017, Charles Johnson wrote:

> Proxy trouble with latest version

 Hi Charles, there's some ambivalence there,
are you implying things worked in the same
setup but with a previous GiP version?
What was that then, before updating to latest (3.06)?

 In the 3.05 -> 3.06 changelog nothing obvious
(proxy related) stands out; going back to older
versions, the most recent proxy-related commit is
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/3f8fb93
which took place in the transition 3.01 -> 3.02 ...

 On Thu Oct 26 12:24:21 BST 2017, Charles Johnson wrote

> The result is that the message now awaits moderator
> approval owing to its size

 This is a misleading message; if the size of the mail body
or size of attachments exceeds a pre-configured max value,
that message is printed to poster, but in reality the original
infringing post will never make it to the list
(speaking from experience here...).
For a voluminous text output, better use a
third party service to upload, then just use the
generated link inside a list post to share.

and originally wrote:

> get_iplayer --proxy=http://127.0.0.1:1080

 Port 1080 already was a hint for me,
but it was helpful to indicate the use
of an SSH tunnel.

 An SSH tunnel, properly configured,
creates a SOCKS4/5 proxy, by default
listening on port 1080. I can see you're
not using Windows, most sadly I have very
little knowledge about other OSes, but
I still think you'll find parts of the following
exchange helpful:
https://github.com/GetiPlayerAutomator/get-iplayer-automator/issues/483

I am hand-picking some relevant bits:

> As far as Socks proxy support in GiP is concerned...,
> don't get me started! NOWHERE in GiP's --longhelp,
> Man Page, wiki, documentation etc.
> exists even a mere mention of "Socks" :-(
> Only the --proxy option is briefly covered...
> As you know very well, the talk of Proxy
> (be it HTTP or SOCKS) or VPN is strictly off-limits
> on the mailing list, SquarePenguin's Support Forum
> and the GitHub issue tracker

> Furthermore, GiP lacks global support for SOCKS4 (that I am aware);
> --proxy (-p) is reserved only for HTTP(S) proxies - this isn't the case
> with, say, get-flash-videos, where an incantation like:
> --proxy socks://proxyhost:proxyport
> redirects both HTTP(S) & RTMP traffic through the SOCKS4 proxy...

> Through the SSH tunnel you can enable a SOCKS4/5 proxy
> connection to the remote server

> Only those apps on your machine that need to be proxied to
> the UK (browsers, downloaders etc.) and are compatible with
> SOCKS would have to be configured individually to use the proxy

> You can use proxy chaining to proxy apps that do not
> support SOCKS (like GiP).
> On Windows, I used Privoxy (Mac OS X version available),
> a local HTTP proxy with default port=8118, and edited its main
> configuration file by adding the line:
> forward-socks5 / 127.0.0.1:1080 .
> This actually forwards the HTTP traffic Privoxy receives
> to the SOCKS proxy, itself forwarding it to the SSH server

> So, you can use GiP
> get_iplayer -p http://localhost:8118

 I am sure more knowledgeable list members with
non-Windows OSes may offer additional advice...

Regards,
Vangelis.