BBC Radio 3 podcast quality

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Tue Oct 24 14:16:38 PDT 2017

From: Simon Morgan
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:32 AM

>All these
>interviews are available as a Podcast which I have downloaded. The audio
>quality is 128 kb/s while the original broadcast is 320 kb/s. The quality
>difference is not critical in my opinion as it is mostly speech but I would
>be interested to know if podcasts can be downloaded at a higher quality.

All the BBC podcasts I have seen recently have offered a choice of 128kbit/s
and 64kbit/s, including when abroad.  If you want 320kbit/s you will have to
use get_iplayer to get the M4A file.  If you are happy with 128kbit/s or
64kbit/s, many podcasts download a lot faster.  They are in MP3, so if you
have a player with problems playing AAC/M4A you don't need to convert them.