get_iplayer for Windows 3.07.0 released

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Wed Nov 29 15:58:44 PST 2017

---------<snip>----------

> and all was well.  It now runs v3.07.  I hope this is of some help to
> anyone who has made the same mistake, and maybe the documentation can
> be expanded to cover it in due course.

I must admit I find Linux totally exasperating. It's not as if command
line is an issue, after all I cut my teeth on CP/M and then DOS2 way
back in the 80s and I'm still happy to go to command line with Windows.
Maybe I've just been with Windows so long that I've got used to its
method of working and can't get out of that groove.

Everyone in the Linux camp goes on about the wonderful choice of distros
available but there's too many confusing choices for me and I can't be
bothered flitting around from one to another in my quest for perfection.

In the last few years I turned a couple of laptops over to Windows/Linux
Mint dual boot but found over time that I never used the Linux boot.
I've had two desktop PCs which were Linux Mint - one got converted into
an unRAID NAS a few months back and when I get back to the UK in March
I'll be converting the other one back to Windows. Despite all the
protestations of superior architecture/security etc etc etc from the
Linux crew I just find the lack of Linux software too limiting for what
I use my PCs for.

</OT rant over, LOL>

> Is there any reason Raspbian Stretch/Raspberry Pi has the get_iplayer
> Raspbian repo while Ubuntu/Mint has the get-iplayer PPA (further
> mis-spelt in the documentation as the get-player PPA)?

Don't know about the first question but someone gave me an answer to the
second. It's not a typo, the "get-iplayer" bit is deliberate, don't ask
me why, another of those Linux quirks!

BTW on the topic of installations, I updated GIP here on my Win 10
laptop and found my AV software kept barfing at the setup.exe file - I
notice in previous versions it was an installer.exe. I don't know if
that was the difference but I had to temporarily suspend my AV to get
the GIP installed. Not had that before. Anyway, I've yet to do that on
my Win 7 PC back home, which I'll probably do later.

Time to get back in the shade, it's already 30+ and it's not even 8am.
Tattiebye!

---