Problem with 3.06 PVR

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Fri Nov 10 11:20:41 PST 2017

From: Ralph Corderoy
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2017 5:26 PM

>I think it's changed again since 3.00.  The --expiry option defaults to
>four hours now;  if the cache is older than that then it is refreshed.
>(It's also refreshed if explicitly requested, or it doesn't exist.)

Hi Ralph

I don't think what is described in the v3.00 release notes was ever
implemented.  I don't remember its ever working differently from the way you
describe.  It does not appear to retrieve the whole of the this_week
schedule in one go.  The most recent entry in my cache is 5 minutes before
the time of the refresh.

> I always specify a very high --expiry option because I explicit refresh
>the cache once each morning, without waiting for it to finish, and then
>don't want it delay any of my later runs of get_iplayer during the day.

Thanks for reminding me about the --expiry option.  Someone did tell me
about it a few months ago, but I couldn't remember what it was called and I
could not find it in the documentation.  During the Proms I sometimes found
I had started to download the wrong Prom because an unexpected refresh had
changed the index numbers.  I agree that it makes sense to set it to about a
month and I can then refresh under my control and when I want to.

Best wishes
Richard