Download speed and progress indicator

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Tue Nov 7 09:04:05 PST 2017

Does Perl distinguish between desktop and laptop machines?

If I run get_iplayer with --verbose I can get an instantaneous download
speed indicator similar to the one we used to have.

If I run it on my desktop machine it displays a single line which is
continuously updated, like the indicator we used to have by default.  If I
run it on any of my laptops each update is on a new line.  I presume that in
the first case the line is terminated with a CR and in the other cases with
a CR LF.

The relevant code seems to be between lines 7206 and 7224.  It calls
main::logger with a string formatted by sprintf.  If I don't set --verbose,
so the else code is executed, all machines display a single continuously
updated line.  In both cases the line appears from the code to end with CR
LF unless {crlf} doesn't mean what it appears to.

All machines are running the version of Perl dated 15 Jan 2017.  They are
all running various versions of 64-bit Windows 10, Home and Professional,
1709, 1703 and 1607.

Any ideas on what is causing the different behaviour?