An Art Lover's Guide - 3 St Petersburg

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sun May 28 13:35:34 PDT 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: C E Macfarlane
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 17:24
To: RS ; get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
Subject: RE: An Art Lover's Guide - 3 St Petersburg

--
www.macfh.co.uk/MacFH.html

>     Flash is not the problem.  get_iplayer v2.97 only finds the
>     audiodescribed
>     and default modes.  The default mode has signing.  You are
>     going to have to
>     upgrade to a more recent version.
>
>     Modes found by v3.01 are
>     audiodescribed,audiodescribed3,editorial,editorial2,original,s
>     igned,signed3

Thanks for this, you were right  -  the re-downloaded version was again BSL
& AD.  It seems odd that the first two episodes were fine and downloaded as
HD, while the third does not.  Is there not a command-line to force the
correct mode?

Also, I've noticed today that the first two episodes of The Story Of Maths
came down as HD, but the last two came down as SD.

On 26/05/2017 17:24, C E Macfarlane wrote:

> Thanks for this, you were right - the re-downloaded version was again BSL
> & AD.  It seems odd that the first two episodes were fine and downloaded
> as
> HD, while the third does not.  Is there not a command-line to force the
> correct mode?
>
> Also, I've noticed today that the first two episodes of The Story Of Maths
> came down as HD, but the last two came down as SD.

I did try using the version PID for version original, b08qkv0v, with v2.97,
but it was not able to find anything at all, so that is not a solution.  I
haven't got v2.97 on this machine so I can't check what it can see for the
first two episodes.  You can check with the --info option.  Does it show
version original?  When did you download the Amsterdam episode?  The HLShd
and FlashHD modes for that episode had errors which were corrected about a
week after broadcast.

I don't know enough about the working of get_iplayer to know why v2.97 and
v3.01 can see different versions of the programmes.  Maybe Vangelis will be
along soon.

As I said before, as long as you have v2.5 or above of ffmpeg, not having
v3.00 or above ought not to be a problem unless you want DVF modes.  Are you
able to install the additional Perl modules required by v3.00 of
get_iplayer?

As for The Story of Maths, only the fourth episode is now available.  It
says it was first broadcast on 27 October 2008, so it would not have been
made in HD.  It is possible that some additional commentary has been added
to the first two episodes in HD.  Are they editorial versions?  Have you
checked whether the whole of those episodes are in HD?

I wrote the above two days ago, but had a problem sending it.  Anyway I can
now check what get_iplayer v2.97 is able to see for the Amsterdam
(b08ns05n) and Barcelona (b08ps5rd) programmes.  In both cases it can only
find the default versions.  The difference from the St Petersburg programme
is that the default versions are not signed.  I normally only use the
original version, or occasionally an editorial version.  I'll have to leave
it to someone else to explain what the default version is, why it is
sometimes signed and sometimes not signed, and why v2.97 is now only able to
see the default version (or in one case default and audiodescribed) while
v3.01 can see more versions including original.