News Quiz Extra pvr Download Failed

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Thu May 18 04:53:14 PDT 2017

On 18/05/2017 12:32, Budge wrote:
> On 18/05/17 05:18, Alan Milewczyk wrote:
>> Hi Budge
>>
>> Hmmm I notice that when you tried to download using the PID the
>> output tells you that it's not in the cache, isn't this the reason
>> why your PVR download failed (something that a refresh would/should
>> have picked up)?
> [snip]
>
> Hi Alan,
> Now this is a good point which gives me pause.  I recall some posts
> about cache refresh and will have to go back and read.
>
> In fact I have never before taken any action with the cache so I have
> no idea how it used to be refreshed in the past. The pvr just worked
> and I thought the pvr search did the cache refresh automagically.
>
> Have things changed?  What should I do to correct this as I am likely
> missing several other programmes if you are correct?
> Regards,
> Budge

I don't generally use the PVR but from memory it refreshes every 4 hours
by default. You'll find the appropriate setting in the file
"run_pvr_scheduler.cmd" (which is located in the gip folder in Program
Files (x86)).

When you download by PID then it doesn't matter if the programme isn't
in the cache (except perhaps for missing metadata) but if you search by
programme name then it's always worthwhile refreshing the cache.

Generally most of my radio programmes are downloaded using the prog name
so I always first do a:
     get_iplayer --type=radio --refresh
then I load the batch file that lists the progs I wish to download. That
way I'm assured of having the programmes in the cache.

HTH

Alan

---