Red Button now on iPlayer

tellyaddict tellyaddict21 at gmx.co.uk
Mon May 15 06:18:45 PDT 2017

> So those numbers are a red herring.
Yes. As James said, those numbers have no relation to speed. Just the order they are tried in.

> Even so there are some dramatic differences between the sub-modes.  I haven't tried them all but hlsvhigh1
> and hvfxsd5 both download at about 60Mbit/s, while hvfxsd1 only manages about 14Mbit/s.

Indeed different suppliers deliver at different top speeds.

I'm not sure if my output is the same as yours because they can vary but my verbose output for --info on b08r3nv4 tells me that hvfxsd2 comes from Limelight which seems to be quite a slow server and this is from past experience as well.

I can't really comment on hvfxsd1 which comes from Bidi because Bidi is a new server to get_iplayer and I haven't had much chance to try it yet. Your test indicates though that again it may well be a slow server but marginally faster than Limelight.

Both hlsvhigh1 and hvfxsd5 are served by Akamai. Akamai is by far the fastest server out there which would explain why you got good results with that mode set in your command.