BBC has added password controls to iPlayer

Alex al.feersum at gmail.com
Fri May 12 02:03:06 PDT 2017

Not a rewrite - just some code that'll prompt auth against the iPlayer
site to allow content scraping, storage of the cookie, and passing the
cookie each time (i.e. a persistent session).  If re-authentication is
needed, then prompt the auth again.

All this will be for is scraping the iPlayer site.  Downloads /should/
be unaffected, as these come from the CDN.  AFAIA, CDN access
generally doesn't require auth as this has the potential to slow
delivery - the security is through obscurity using algorithmically
generated paths.  I'm not saying that CDNs _don't_ use security, just
that in general it is considered an unnecessary overhead when the
nature of the content itself can only reliably be determined by the
publisher (and their code), hence the dependency on the iPlayer site
to work out which CDN to use and the location of the data on the CDN.

On 12 May 2017 at 09:26, Hugh Reynolds <hugh at courtyard.co.uk> wrote:
> Agreed. It might. It might rain today. Useful? Interested?
> That's my last noise on the subject.
> Regards
> Hugh
>

> ---