Further Radio Modes Experience

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Thu May 11 04:25:58 PDT 2017

>From: Vangelis forthnet Sent: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:44 PM Your
>"problematic" firmware has no support for the High Efficiency (HE-AAC)
>encoding profile.
>Radiomodes with a bitrate <= 96 kbps use that, while the ones >=128 use the
>Linn compatible standard Low Complexity (LC) profile; actually, HE-AAC is
>LC too, better described as HE-AAC LC, as indicated by the MI log.

Use by the BBC of HE-AAC components at bit rates of 96kbit/s and below may
well be the explanation for the difficulty in playing those files.  As I
understand the AAC standard, players which are not able to handle HE
components are required to ignore them.  If the Linn player is failing to do
so, there may be grounds for reporting this as a fault to Linn.  In the
meantime as you suggest the solution is probably to use a bit rate, perhaps
128kbit/s and above, encoded as AAC-LC.

A month or two ago someone else had a problem with a Linn player.  His
problem was that it would not play long M4A/AAC files.  Some of the operas
on Radio 3 can be up to 5 hours, and it would not play the longer ones.
Linn was supposed to be investigating, but I don't remember hearing whether
the problem had been fixed.