Help text query

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Tue May 9 10:22:35 PDT 2017

Hi David,

> > If your distribution handles PPAs, there is little point, but if it
> > does not, it could be very handy.
>
> Not really. I have no idea what a PPA is so I presume that my OSes
> don't handle them. I just regularly 'brew update;brew upgrade' on OS X
> and 'apt-get update;apt-get upgrade' on Linux.

A PPA is one place for apt-get to fetch packages from.
If you find apt-get update gives you 3.00, 3.01, etc., soon after
they're released, then you pulling their packages from somewhere other
than a stable Ubuntu 2016-10, etc., that wouldn't update much once
released;  that might be a PPA you've told it about in the past.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy