Can't download with GiP 3.00

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Mon May 8 09:44:09 PDT 2017

On 07/05/2017 23:46, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> On Sun May 7 23:16:20 BST 2017, RS wrote:
>> That mode does not appear in the list in the blog.
>
> Well spotted! It is meant for ipad, tablets and other mobile devices...
>
> And that same blog describes the "1280x720 at 25fps" video profile as
> "outgoing", so that pretty much answers the question posed by
> @tellyaddict as to why "there isn't a 720p 25fps hvf option"...

Must admit, I was amused by the reference to a video profile as
"outgoing" - wonder what the introverted profiles are like? ;-)

I'm really disappointed to see that the HLS problems have returned,
especially as 1280x720 25fps is my preferred mode of choice. I really
think 50fps is a gross overkill for my requirements both in download
times and the doubled storage space required.

I dug out the v2.99 get_iplayer.pl file and tried that but got an ffmpeg
error - I couldn't be bothered decoding what the error meant so I
decided to uninstall v3.01 and reinstall v2.99 on my laptop. I've got
into a routine of doing the downloads on my desktop with v3.01. When
programmes download at 960x520 instead of the usual 1280x720 I do an
--info on the offending files to see which modes are available and,
where possible, try for flashhd on the laptop. Having said that I can
confirm, as has already been mentioned, there are a number of programmes
where both hlshd and flashhd are corrupted.

I really hope that the BBC reinstate the 1280x720 25fps mode when they
kill off flash.

---