[ANN] get_iplayer v3.01 released

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun May 7 11:11:06 PDT 2017

On Sun May 7 14:35:24 BST 2017, Jim web wrote:

> always deals with this question in terms of
> (snip)
> and speed of fetching?

GiP has never taken (and never will) speed of fetching
into account - it's something out of its control...
Somewhat related is the recent addition #13 to the
Support Forums Rules:
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-655.html

Please also read
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release300#bandwidth-throttling-by-cdns

Download speeds is a subject that, if memory
serves right, has been discussed quite extensively
here in this list previously...
It depends on quite a lot of random factors (including the
distance between you and the closest CDN node to
your actual physical location), so what you must do is
experiment with various (tv|radio)modes and between
the available CDN modes (1, 2, etc.) for the same mode,
and in the same time of day your downloads usually take place,
to hopefully establish a pattern for your setup.
Then stick to those which are most reliable/quick
for your setup...

I'll speak for Radio here (as 95% of my fetches are radio),
unlike what has been reported by many, flashaac radiomodes
(GiP 2.99 and earlier) were quite speedy for me, so my
speed of fetching list looks like:

hlsaac > flashaac >= daf  >> haf

The general consensus is that haf modes are quite slow...
And my experiments have shown that usually
Akamai > Limelight, but not a big difference...
You can use
get_iplayer -i --pid=<pid> --verbose
to see what is what...

Regards