A bug in get_iplayer-3.01?

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sat Jun 3 06:26:20 PDT 2017

Sorry I have misunderstood the documentation.  I had to go back to the v2.87
Release Notes to find --fatfilename.  They said the behaviour
of --whitespace was being changed.  There are several sub-headings saying,
"Just say no to non-ASCII characters in filenames".  It seems rather
inconsistent to remove problem characters by default in Windows and OSX
while removing the option to do the same in Linux.

The name of the programme when displayed as a search result in Windows is
Vets 24/7: Series 4 - Episode 4, BBC One, b08r69t1

The : is removed in Windows.  It would be a nightmare if it were not.  As
you say, these problems are easily fixed in Linux, but it is very difficult
in Windows.  The only way I have found to edit out characters which Windows
will not accept in file names is to boot from an Ubuntu Live CD.  Your
example seems to indicate that the : is also removed in Linux.  To that
extent Windows and Linux are treated equally, which would be the only reason
for removing the --fatfilename option.

In Windows / is replaced with _.  In Linux it is not.  If the justification
for removing --fatfilename was that Linux was to treated in the same way as
Windows it seems to me you are right to call it a bug.

I have now found where --fatfilename was removed.  It was in v2.98.  The
Release Notes say,

File name sanitisation options (replaced by uniform naming scheme)

    All file names are now always ASCII-only, with most punctuation removed.
    All dates in episode titles are now always converted to YYYY-MM-DD
format for use in file names

I have not looked at the code to see how this has been implemented.  If
Windows, OSX and Linux are all to be treated the same, you would expect to
see the same code used for all three.