Podcast sample rate

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Mon Jul 17 09:19:12 PDT 2017

As far as I'm aware, the BBC's audio estate runs at 48 KHz (well, except
the Archers studio - and probably a handful of other studios - for legacy
purposes).

Looks like podcasts are still encoded to 44.1 KHz via iBroadcast (the MP3s'
encoder tag indicates ffmpeg (currently Lavc57.24)). Except where a podcast
is generated programmatically from a broadcast programme (e.g. World at One
on Radio 4), the podcast guide instructs to upload WAVs directly to
iBroadcast. I suppose it must still have a separate encode and publish
workflow from Audio Factory.

(I don't have anything to do with podcasts, mind...)

Years ago when they started, 44.1 was part of the defined spec for BBC
podcasts and I presume nobody's ever really cared enough to change it. I'm
listening to one at the moment and its audio quality is perfect fine.

iPlayer audio is provided / encoded through a different process so will be
48, and also a higher bit rate (and AAC). Podcasts were designed to be
listened to on average earbuds while on the go and have to remain
compatible with devices potentially over a decade old. So, er, go figure.