Converting DASHhigh to FLAC with ffmpeg

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 12:11:59 PST 2017

On 24-Jan-17 7:18 PM, Budge wrote:

> Hi Richard,
> I think you have hit the nail on the head here.  The AAC download from
> GiP is not lossless but is the best resolution available.  If I
> convert to FLAC the file size increases substantially for no benefit.
> (I have say 450 m4a files all over 300 MiB so we are looking at a big
> bite out of my storage capacity if I convert.
>
> My understanding is that if I convert to mp3 I lose more.  Not sure if
> this is true.  Also mp3 is "proprietary."  What I would like is just
> to have the m4a downloads work once more.  Now this applies to my main
> collection and I would like to put that problem aside and forget the
> Linn large file issue for now.

The reality is, that almost nobody (if indeed anybody) can reliably tell
320kbps mp3 (using the slow/high quality setting) from uncompressed
(never mind m4a) in a domestic setting.

It may be "proprietary" but is so common that any player (hardware or
software) not supporting it would be seen as a joke.