[OT] Crystal Palace transmitter problems?

Alex Brooks askoorb+iplayer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:18:33 PST 2017

Hi di hi,

On 3 January 2017 at 14:48, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are problems with the Crystal Palace
> transmitter at the moment? I can't receive any of BBC 1/2/4, and haven't
> been able to for a coupla days now. The ITV channels seem to be OK
> (apart from the content, of course, which is all terrible :-) so if
> there is a problem it looks like it's just the BBC's multiplex that's
> affected.

The BBC has official responsibility for providing TV and radio
reception advice for the nation, regardless of which broadcaster you
want to watch [1].

If you go http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception they will link you through to
the Radio and Television Investigation Service at
https://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/diagnostic/, though they also post
directly on the BBC pages of major known problems, like the recent
issues in South Wales, South of England and Anglia regions due to high
atmospheric pressure.  The  diagnostic tool is really useful.

They also run a telephone advice service on 03700 100 123.

Rather amusingly, they even provide advice for satellite and cable
transmissions.

HTH,

Alex

[1]Specifically, they say that they:

"The Radio and Television Investigation Service helps viewers and
listeners investigate and, where possible, resolve interference
problems affecting their television and radio reception. Although
provided by the BBC, the service covers interference to reception of
all UK broadcasters.

The service combines the following elements:

A general diagnostic analysis of your installation
Specific questions relating to the symptoms you are experiencing
Advice on the potential source of the problem
Guidance on how you may be able to resolve the issue. On occasions
this could include an on-site investigation by Ofcom."