Updating get_iplayerin Windows

J K.Eason mail at john-eason.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 07:14:00 PST 2017

> *From:* RS <richard22j at zoho.com>
> *To:* get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
> *Date:* Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:53:05 -0000
>
> Are there any notes on how to update the Windows installation of
> get_iplayer?  Up to now I have always used the Windows installer.
> I think there used to be an update option, but I have not seen that
> for some time. Sometimes a new version of the Perl interpreter or
> one of the utilities will be needed, but I assume most of the time
> I only need to replace get_iplayer.pl (and get_iplayer.cgi if I
> want to use the PVR).  Is there anywhere I can download just those
> two files?
>
> Earlier in the week I downloaded the Windows installer for v2.99.
> It was 16.2Mbyte.  My allegedly 3G (4G is not allowed) connection
> here seems to have been throttled to about 40kbit/s.  The first two
> attempts failed and I could not resume them, so the download took
> almost a morning.  I have at least been able to avoid
> time-consuming refreshes of the caches thanks to Howard Orgel's
> suggestion to set
> get_iplayer --prefs-add --expiry 1382400

 Go to https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/tree/v2.99

Click the get_iplayer link in the list. That will open the page with the
.pl file on it and you can copy and save the text as 'get_iplayer.pl'.
Then click the get_iplayer.cgi link and do the same, naming that
'get_iplayer.cgi'. Job done.
(The 'get_iplayer.1' file is the manual page for certain Linux
distributions so doesn't apply to Windows.)
--
Regards
       John