Why mp4 or mp4.ts from identical installation?

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sat Feb 11 03:31:38 PST 2017

I am glad your problem has gone away with v2.98.  You have not said which
mode you are using, which probably means you are using the default.  If that
is the case, you are not comparing like with like between v2.97 and v2.98.

In v2.97 the default is HVFsd, 960x540 50fps, with a bit rate of 2787kbit/s.
In v2.98 the default is HLShd, 1280x720 25fps, with a bit rate of
2379kbit/s.
Flashhd was 1280x720 25fps, with a bit rate of 2400kbit/s.
That is the reason for the difference in file sizes.  It is not a bug.
There is now an internal decoder for HLS and HVF.  Neither uses RTMP.

As for whether the ffmpeg version was a red herring, your original complaint
was that ffmpeg would not multiplex the .mp4.ts file to .mp4 in one of your
installations.  That installation was using ffmpeg v2.3 when v2.5 or above
was required.  If you read the release notes for v2.98 you will see that for
the new DVF mode, if you decide to try it, you will need v3.0 or above of
ffmpeg.