Why mp4 or mp4.ts from identical installation?

Charles Bradshaw charles.bradshaw at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 10 09:03:38 PST 2017

Hi RS,

I did, sort of, say which version of get_iplayer I'm using. If you
looked at dumps.txt.zip in my original post the last lines both say:
"get_iplayer Web PVR Manager v2.97, ©2009-2010 Phil Lewis - Licensed
under GPLv3".

I have been completely deceived by the fact that both installs are the
same, but the results are radically different! Further posts telling me
that ffmpeg versions might be the cause are, as it turns out, a complete
red herring.

I think you might eventualy understand the problem if I tell you that
with get_iplayer v2.98 the problem goes away completely. Then both
installs, but still using original package manager installed with
different versions of ffmpeg, produce identical .mpg files. Albeit ~1.4
times the size than when the intermediate is flash.

I'm very happy that the problem has gone away, but suggest that
somebody, hopefully with a better understanding of the internals than
me, will find themselves revisiting what must be a subtle bug. :-(

Thanks very much for your help and patients. Charles Bradshaw