Modes and best quality

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 03:19:29 PST 2017

Hi Nick,

> I have noticed, on numerous pids, that if I download them using
> --tvmode=best then the highest quality 25fps stream that is found is
> dvfxhigh (704x396 25fps).
>
> However, if I explicitly use --tvmode=hlshd, then I get the 1280x720
> 25fps stream.

I too am unclear on how the `better', `best', etc., map to modes.  You
might want to experiment with the --fps50 option as that seems to
influence the definition of `best' and friends.

> This behaviour does not accord with the documentation at
> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes

Yes, I thought that was out of date when skimming it a couple of weeks
ago.  I think get_iplayer changed partly because 25 fps is the `best'
most folks want for throwaway TV fodder.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy