With 3.07 .dash.m4v left behind

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed Dec 6 06:08:27 PST 2017

Hi Nick,

> > > I assume this is meant to be deleted once the conversion to mp4
> > > has been completed, but this isn't happening consistently.
> >
> > Does Windows allow a file to be deleted if a process still has it
> > open?  Unix does.  Perhaps this is another manifestation of my guess
> > in
> > http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2017-November/011371.html
>
> In that previous case (temp file not able to be renamed) a permissions
> error appears on the console. In this case no problem is indicated at
> all.

That just means get_iplayer is ignoring the failure to remove the file
rather that report it to you.  A quick skim of all the `unlink' function
calls show none have their return value checked.

You might want to adjust `unlink $foo;' to

    unlink $foo or
        main::logger "WARNING: unlink $foo failed: $!\n";

`$!' will hopefully give a Windows-specific error indicating why the
removal failed, e.g. `file open'.

> > by people that know Windows and can track what files are open when.

Google suggests FileMon did this in the past, and it's been superseded
by Process Monitor.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

--
Cheers, Ralph.