Tidying up Radio Downloads

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Tue Aug 29 09:18:09 PDT 2017

>From: Vangelis forthnet Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 01:03

>>On Thu Aug 24 13:12:07 BST 2017, I wrote:

>> What I still haven't worked out is whether there is an equivalent
>> of -codec copy for metadata.

>... bit late, but maybe:

>-map_metadata outfile[,metadata]:infile[,metadata]

> => "set metadata information of outfile from infile"

>(switch found inside "Per-file main options" section of  ffmpeg -h full
>)

Thanks Vangelis, I think you have set me on the right track
with -map_metadata.

It seems what I want is
-map_metadata 0:g
where 0 is the first input stream and g is global, but they are the defaults
so I don't need to worry.

>From the ffmpeg documentation of -map_metadata

"If metadata specifier is omitted, it defaults to global.

"By default, global metadata is copied from the first input file, per-stream
and per-chapter metadata is copied along with streams/chapters. These
default mappings are disabled by creating any mapping of the relevant type.
A negative file index can be used to create a dummy mapping that just
disables automatic copying. "

All I need to work out now from
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-cvslog/2011-August/039681.html
is why I would want to enable -write_id3v1 given that "ID3v1 tags are
written in UTF-8 which may not be supported by most software."
or what the difference is between -id3v2_version=3 and -id3v2_version=4

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/aactomp3
warns me I must not ask for help if I do not understand them!

It is probably easier just to leave them out and see if anything goes wrong.

Best wishes
Richard