World Service podcast bit rates

Simon Morgan s.morgan at skm.org.uk
Thu Aug 17 09:31:23 PDT 2017

Oh for get_iplayer when I was sailing around the Indian Ocean in the early
'60s. Shortwave radio was the only option whether for speech or even
"music". I still mourn the day the World Service dropped its ident tune
which was essential to tune into the news broadcasts. I started off with a
"steam driven" Eddystone radio which was the size of a minor planet and
eventually I worked through a series of Sony radios. I still have one about
half the sizes of a paperback book which is truly excellent with its digital
frequency display. Needless to say it is seldom used these days other than
for nostalgic reasons.

As Vangelis has said, 96kps is more than adequate for speech and I can't
recall when I last listened to music on the World Service (used to be call
Overseas Service or something like that I seem to remember).

Notwithstanding some of the rather boring spats on this list, thank goodness
for the author(s) of get_iplayer which I find I find indispensible. The
niceties of the programming language are of no interest to me as I am stuck
in the world of Fortran IV and Fortran 77.

Dinkypumpkin et al keep up the good work.

Rgds
Simon Morgan

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan