New radio PIDs, more than 8 characters

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 14:18:34 PDT 2017

Correction below:
--
www.macfh.co.uk/MacFH.html

>     Yes, but in practice you'd want an upper limit, because the
>     higher the limit
>     the more likely you are to get spurious hits.

Thinking about this a bit more, I wouldn't wish to claim a spurious hit was
more likely with no upper limit, but nevertheless I would still regard it
better programming practice to have one  -  with normal written English, the
potential for spurious hits would be low, and in the event of one it would
be delimited quickly by the next space, but if you were trawling raw HTML or
similar code, which might contain longs strings of pseudo-random characters
as not just PIDs, but also GUIDs, session keys, and the like, then the
potential for spurious hit would be very much increased, so more would be
found, and in the interests of program efficiency you'd want them to be
delimited sooner rather than later.

Regards.