HLS modes being missed by GiP

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Fri Apr 21 03:29:41 PDT 2017

To: get_iplayer

>Yes treker68 could use hvfxsd instead for this one. I think HLS modes are
>usually available for locaL news but I'm not sure. Looking at the
>mediaselector, >there is an option for a 1500kbps HLS stream which I think
>would normally be hlsvhigh. Dinky says it's down to BBC changes.

I see the forum thread has now been closed on the grounds that there may be
use outside the UK.  I did wonder about that from the US date format in the
bottom right hand corner and the discrepancy in the times.

I had not thought about the point that there are no HD modes for local news
programmes.  The London lunchtime and evening news yesterday only had DVF,
HVF and Flash modes, but I have no way of knowing whether there used to be
HLS modes.  treker68 does not say whether he has just upgraded to v2.99 from
a much older version, in which case a default he was relying on may have
changed.

More generally, get_iplayer's messages about modes use the mode names set
out in
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modesref
If a user has specified the mode with a shortcut or alias, or has relied on
a default, I can understand that the mode names in the messages may be
difficult to relate to the alias.

One change I have noticed recently is that there are now two CDNs for HLS
modes for most programmes.