BBC iPlayer login will be required from 2017

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 06:43:42 PDT 2016

In article <20160929130822.GB21920 at bytemark.barnyard.co.uk>, David
Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 12:05:01AM +0100, Peter S Kirk wrote:

> > "I fetch items with gip. Play them with VLC. Update things as and when
> > I decide."

> And then there are normal people who aren't geeks. They're who smart TVs
> exist for.

Quite so.

 Doesn't mean we have to keep alternatives a secret, though. People can't
make a free choice if the alternatives are ones they have no idea exist.

Having worked in the 'ed biz' for years I tend to think it a good idea to
try and provide people with information, and to indicate what can be done.
But in the end, its their choice of how to make use of it. Here, at least
knowing that alternatives exist that *don't* limit them like the 'smart TV'
may aid them in being more sceptical of future sales blurbs about such
devices and the real meaning of 'smart'. And they can know to look to the
vendor/maker when something isn't as 'smart' as it could be.

Still OT here, though. :-)

Jim