BBC iPlayer login will be required from 2017

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 07:05:32 PDT 2016

In article <427BC14D94A04F7A88642EAF344B9F15 at RJCDESK>, RS
<richard22j at zoho.com> wrote:
> My television does not even call itself a Smart TV, but it does support
> DLNA.

FWIW I always have recommended that people buy a TV with an HDMI input
and then feed that from a computer. This frees you from relying on the
firmware, etc, installed by the TV makers. The media players I've seen on
TVs are lousy compared with what you can install for yourself on a
computer. Far from 'smart'. More like 'shovel something on so we can tick
the box in the list of claimed feature - although I guess there will be
exceptions.

I fetch items with gip. Play them with VLC. Update things as and when I
decide.

I don't need to know anything about DLNA either. I just play stuff from HDs
or NAS as files.

Jim