Slow GIP downloads

Simon Morgan s.morgan at skm.org.uk
Sun Sep 18 01:40:15 PDT 2016

Such speeds I can only dream of. My line speed is 3Mbs with an effective
download speed of 2.6Mbs. Because of my terrible download speeds, I have to
throttle it even more so that other applications are usable so typically I
set get_iplayer to about 1Mbs until late in the evening when I resort to
"full speed" LOL.
In get_iplayer 2.96, the fact that under Windows we no longer get the
"...cannot fork..." error is a godsend to me as I used to bomb out between
downloads if I was unlucky.

I am about 5km from the BT cabinet so even when the cabinet is connected via
fibre, I doubt whether I will see much improvement. Fortunately the pleasure
of living in the countryside outweighs the slow BT broadband.

RGds
Simon Morgan