So what does this really mean

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Sep 16 09:05:54 PDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 04:39:53PM +0200, Dave Widgery wrote:

> I realise that there is are rites issues and it is not just the BBC or tv, they tried region coding dvds it doesn't work, with gobal movement of people the whole rites thing needs a rethink.

Actually it does work. It doesn't need to be 100% effective, it just
needs to be *sufficiently* effective.

Many years ago, for example, I worked for the BBC on some very early
Olympic online streaming. The International Olympic Committee were happy
if our geographic blocking had an error rate of 10%. That is, if someone
from outside the area we had rights for tried to access it they were
happy with a 90% change of them being blocked.

If a tiny number of geeks can circumvent the restrictions by using VPNs,
or hiring a server in the UK, or using VLC to watch a DVD, that really
doesn't matter. What matters is blocking the masses.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

There is no one true indentation style,
But if there were K&R would be Its Prophets.
Peace be upon Their Holy Beards.