Web PVR in v2.96 - Recording modes

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Wed Sep 14 14:46:16 PDT 2016

On 12/09/16 13:10, Jim web wrote:
> In article <9BCBF20534D84359B637D3DE316579C1 at RJCDESK>, RS
> <richard22j at zoho.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone tried to do this?  As Jim says, the propagation/processing
>> delays will differ.  The issue is whether the relative delay is
>> constant, which would mean a fairly easy adjustment, or whether it
>> drifts so that adding in a constant delay will not work.  Many years
>> ago (probably pre-NICAM) the BBC occasionally had radio/television
>> simulcasts, so it may be that the problem of keeping radio and
>> television in sync has been considered.  Do they use the same clock?
> Alas, the problems aren't simply a fixed offset.
>
> I did some relative time comparisons some years ago. You can see the
> results at http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/BBC/XHQ/TimeTravel.html

Fascinating analysis on "time travel", Jim, and also the subsequent page
"320kbps - More is less". Just moving slightly OT from that page, I
recall having a blazing row online with the guy who was in charge of the
"DAB campaign" around 10 years ago. I couldn't understand anyone in
their right mind going for DAB (I still can't) with the crappy bit-rates
applicable to the music channels at the time - I'd have loved seeing a
"Less is more" analysis of those bit-rates, LOL.

Regards

Alan