Web PVR in v2.96 - Recording modes

Simon Morgan s.morgan at skm.org.uk
Sun Sep 11 07:34:34 PDT 2016

I have been recording an item from BBC Last Night of the Proms. BBC iPlayer
now seems to offer each piece of music separately which is very convenient
as I only wanted Vaughan Williams Serenade to Music using
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p046p4fj/bbc-proms-2016-ralph-vaughan-w
illiams-serenade-to-music in the Quick URL field.

Because of my extremely slow broadband speed, I wanted to record the best
sound while accepting a lower video quality. According to the get_iplayer
wiki, this can be achieved by the use of "tvgood,radiobest" (without quotes)
in the Recordings tab (see
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes#config-quality). This
resulted in an Audio quality of 96kbps.

I was expecting a higher audio bit rate than this so I recorded the piece
again using the default quality setting. This resulted in an audio file of
approx 128kbps.

It therefore seems that the "radiobest" setting is not returning the best
quality available when used in conjunction with a lower quality TV mode. Of
course it may be me that is misunderstanding something but I would welcome
any comments and/or advice.

I use get_iplayer v2.96 running the web pvr in Windows Home Server 2011.

Rgds
Simon Morgan