License question

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 04:28:42 PDT 2016

On 03/09/16 10:11, Jonathan H wrote:
> I don't think you'll see a better summary of the situation than this.
> And yes, I realise the irony of copying and pasting an entire
> advertising-funded page, but when the advert covers the entire page
> and makes the article unreadable then I think it's fair use! (see
> http://tinypic.com/r/15fxxf/9 )
>
> Original article here:
> http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/bbc-closes-loophole-for-whiny-freeloaders-20160902113219
> (warning: contains a swear which I've starred out here in case the
> list rejects is)
>
> PEOPLE with an absurd sense of entitlement will no longer be able to
> watch BBC iPlayer for free, the broadcaster has confirmed.
>
> The broadcaster closed the loophole, which allowed people access to
> billions of pounds worth of entertainment for free, yesterday after a
> high-level decision that those people could go f**k themselves.
>
> Craft beer ambassador Tom Booker said: “I don’t own a television, I
> don’t have a television aerial on the chimney of my house, I don’t
> even have a house. I’m contemporary.
>
> “So when I’m watching Bake-Off ironically on my MacBook I shouldn’t be
> liable for any licence fee, because what I am doing is completely
> different and cooler.
>
> “YouTube’s free, and I don’t see the distinction between high-quality
> content by a broadcasting organisation which is the envy of the world
> and blurred smartphone footage of teenagers punching each other’s
> groins.
>
> “Where does this end? Paying for music?”
>
> A BBC spokesman said: “We’ve got Attenborough, you whiny bitches, so pay up.”

I think I'll find out where Craft Beer contemporary man brews his beer
and arrange to syphon off some of his beer and drink it for nothing, in
my hipster tree house, safe in the knowledge that I am being really
cool.  If not paying for content paid for by others is acceptable then
"all property is theft" including his beer.

Unless I missed the irony and they made him up.  I fear not.

You Tube is only "free" in the sense that you don't have to pay upfront,
it makes its money by selling your data, and not paying very much for
the professionally produced content it does carry.

Try watching Netflix, Amazon et al for nothing