License question

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Sat Sep 3 01:13:58 PDT 2016

In article <af189c90-4038-70ea-09dd-bc194d9c1f6c at gmail.com>, michael
norman <michaeltnorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, not many people read Robert A. Heinlein these days. I still find
> > people who do not grok TANSTAAFL. What is more amazing is that there
> > are people who honestly believe that there is such a thing as "Free
> > Lunch". I am a firm believer in TANSTAAFL.

> > On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 8:18 AM, John Bingham <john at ukmail.org> wrote:

> Never heard of him either, just looked him up.  Whether he was the first
> to deny the existence of a free lunch I have no idea, its always struck
> me that the principle is obvious, in this and other contexts the artist
> has to be paid.

AIUI, RAH's view was that TANSTAAFL was - or should be - obvious. But that
it was depressingly common to find people who believed otherwise.

He was a very popular author, and also wrote some interesting factual and
opinion pieces. Sad that, along with others like John W Campbell, etc, he
now seems to have been forgotten. But then those were the days when SF
meant *Science* fiction rather than fantasy, and making people *think* was
one of its main purposes for many.

Jim