Beeb encoding different programs at quite different framerates

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Fri Oct 28 10:40:09 PDT 2016

)

Thanks Vangelis for the very helpful  explanation.  You say it is not a GiP
issue, and I can't disagree.  The video has been over-compressed.  This is
more extreme than the example in the documents you refer to.  It looks
really weird to see the percentage and time left counting down and the
conversion suddenly starting at 27%, as though a large part of the file is
missing.

As an off-topic aside, I can't help wondering what possessed the BBC or its
CDN to compress 720p50 video at 1500kbit/s.  The picture is very fuzzy and
is more like 480i.

Like you I avoid the 50fps modes.  If I can I use HLSHD with fallback to
FlashHD and HVFvhigh.  I had no idea the BBC was using frame doubling to
achieve 50fps.  It seems an idiotic waste of bandwidth.

Neither of these seems in keeping with
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2015-07-the-development-of-new-video-factory-profiles-for-bbc-iplayer