v2.97 with sensible TV download sizes?

Simon Morgan s.morgan at skm.org.uk
Sun Oct 2 23:50:08 PDT 2016

> I'm currently using v2.94 as it is the only version that I have
> available to me that gets sensible download sizes, by this I mean that
> 'Ambulance' is 651.8mb. I would use 2.97 if I could only train it to
> get sensible file sized download sizes, but how please?

<snip     >

> When I've tried 2.97 it only seems to download 1gb+ sized files, which
> is much too big for my needs. I don't need, or want, a full-screen
> display as its only ever watched on this computer, but how can I do it
> please?
>
> I've looked at 'https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes'
> and also
> 'https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modesref#tv-modes' but
> I'm still unable to get a sensible download size with 2.97.
>
> Can anyone help with a 'tvmode' for my config file that works to fulfil
> my requirements please?

I use the tvmode=tv25fps in v2.97 which gives me about 1Gb per broadcast
hour. Tvmode = vgood or good should give acceptable results on a computer
screen with a smaller file size. My real problem is my broadband speed so
the highest quality just takes forever to download.

As I use the Windows web pvr, it is very simple to change recording modes to
suit the programme I am interested in. I seldom use the CLI and never use
Linux.

See https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes#config-quality
And
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modesref#recording-mode-deta
ils

I think you will find that Vangelis usually comes up with the most detailed
(and accurate!) description and advice.
We have been advised that the various "flash" modes will be dropped some
time in the future (near?).

Rgds
Simon Morgan