BBC iPlayer login will be required from 2017

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sat Oct 1 05:57:57 PDT 2016

On 2016-10-01, 10:58, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 12:02:55PM +0100, Jim web wrote:
>> It is the responsibility of the *vendor* of closed commerial items to ensure
>> what you buy works as it should. They may 'subcontract' that to the makers,
>> who in turn may commission someone else to deal with it.
>
>> The BBC try to give info well in advance to makers and those who offer 'smart
>> TV' boxes. Its then their job to handle it. Not the BBC's.
>
> I must disagree.
>
> The BBC has historically maintained broadcasting in standards long after they
> had become obsolete. BBC2 launched in the new 625 line service in 1964 and the
> BBC had internally migrated everything to this new standard by 1969. The BBC
> maintained a downconverted 405 line service until 1985. It was supposedly only
> scrapped because they needed to bring the service down for maintenance for a
> while, and received no complaints.

On the other hand they stopped broadcasting analogue TV signals, and
some people complained, and those complaints were ignored. Some people
received help converting, but that was a DCMS scheme, the BBC was only
the administrator of the scheme.

Maintaining and running a a large number of versions of a piece of
software and everything that surrounds it for long periods of time while
also upgrading it to provide new features for new users is just not
practical.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

Please stop rolling your Jargon Dice and explain the problem
you are having to me in plain English, using small words.
   -- John Hardin, in the Monastery