Get_iplayer is streaming live TV!

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Mon Nov 28 12:22:57 PST 2016

On Mon Nov 28 19:54:25 GMT 2016, d.lake wrote:

> someone has obviously gone out looking for a server

... As someone outside the UK, I can assure you there exist
plenty of sites (yes, many of which Russia based) that perform
port scanning to find vulnerabilities/misconfiguration in UK
based machines and then post their findings in adds-ladden pages;
those "open" UK proxies are very popular worldwide and it
is only after their owner discovers the increase in bandwidth
usage (like yourself) that those "holes" are patched...

> to capture live BBC TV on  and spent time/money
> building THREE servers with which to do it.

Do not be fooled; they are in it for profit.
Given the fact UK TV is extremely popular worldwide,
those stolen live feeds are usually hosted on
specially crafted webpages with tons of banners,
adds (and even, in some cases, malicious code),
that attract many global users - visiting that page
makes their owner automatically profit from their sponsors...

With regards to your original issue itself,
the documentation is very explicit:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/webpvrold

> WARNING: Never run this in an untrusted environment or facing the internet

So, it told you so... :-)

Regards