Get_iplayer is streaming live TV!

d.lake at surrey.ac.uk d.lake at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 06:44:52 PST 2016

Oooh.  That is a superb idea.

Makes it nice and easy to secure.

Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: get_iplayer [mailto:get_iplayer-bounces at lists.infradead.org] On Behalf Of Graham Cobb
Sent: 28 November 2016 14:32
To: get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
Subject: Re: Get_iplayer is streaming live TV!

On 28/11/16 14:01, Nick wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:40:58 +0000
> <d.lake at surrey.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Because I spend a lot of my time travelling, all my music and radio
>> downloads are stored on a cloud VPS server.   I can't really block
>> down by IP address because I don't really know where I'll be
>> connecting from.
> I recommend SSH for getting arbitrary services across the internet
> securely. Have it listening on port 443 and you can get to it from
> anywhere, even through restrictive firewalls.

An alternative, which I use for several services I want access to while I am travelling, is to run Apache as a reverse proxy. I.e. run apache on your VPS but configure it not to actually serve any content but set up a Location which uses ProxyPass to connect to your get_iplayer.cgi running on 127.0.0.1:8080 (or whatever -- but not running on the externally visible IP address).

You can then protect access to that Location using the full power of apache access controls. I use this to access my Tivo at home while I am travelling, for example.

Of course, if get_iplayer.cgi can run as a real CGI process (I don't use it so I don't know) then just provide access to that via Apache and don't bother with the reverse proxy.

-----
No virus found in this message.