Get_iplayer is streaming live TV!

Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 04:30:11 PST 2016

On 2016-11-28 12:17, d.lake at surrey.ac.uk wrote:
> Mystery solved.
>
> Someone somewhere has set up a site which accesses my get_iplayer cgi
> script and kicks off downloading from live TV.

With what aim - just to slow your machine down?  (It's hard to believe
that
such a person would be a closet cbbc watcher...) Would they see stuff
streamed to your machine from their machine?

If that's really happening, presumably there's an external access coming
through your firewall to the server part of g_ip, which is listening to
port 8080 on your machine.  You should be able to block such incoming
requests.

Also you could (probably) change the various parts of your g_ip perl
programs so they use some other port.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own