Radio Modes

Mike Casswell mike at nutwood.net
Tue Nov 8 00:22:48 PST 2016

Many thanks for your comprehensive, as ever, reply.

> Mike, you fail to inform us on the version of GiP
> you're currently on, also used OS might be of
> further interest; the "default" radio modes have changed
> since the previous GiP versions, so I'll assume
> you're on the latest version 2.97 (with latest FFmpeg
> for your OS), as previous ones are unsupported
> (certainly by the developer and the support forum...).

Indeed, completely up to date and using Windows 7.

> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes#radio

The table in this link is what I could not find and answers my main question,
I shall specify radiomode as vgood for 128kbps download.

> flashaac radiomode has been deprecated
> (flagged as about to be removed in the next
> major release of GiP), but continues to
> function as expected as of this writing;
> has the advantage of being resumable
> in case of timed-out connections...

Hmmm. Does that imply that I may get incomplete recordings using the currently
approved modes? If that's the case I may revert to flashaac for as long as I can.

> > I convert all to 128kbps MP3 to suit the legacy hardware players I use.
>
> Is this done in GiP via the (now deprecated)
> --aactomp3 (--mp3) switch?

It is, at present, because it is so straightforward. I do use external utilities
to convert other sources to mp3, though, and will extend thid to GIP downloads
when necessary.

> If you are concerned about used bandwidth,
> then yes, an .m4a file @320kbpsABR uses
> roughly 2.5x the bandwidth (and disk
> space) as an .m4a file at 128kbpsABR.

Yes, bandwidth is the main concern.

> About the conversion itself to MP3 at 128kbpsCBR,
> assuming you are doing this outside GiP,
> remember you are going from a lossy compression
> (AAC) to a second lossy compression (with an
> inferior codec, especially at lower bitrates), so
> what is described as "generational loss" always
> takes place.
> From an audio quality standpoint, it'd be always best
> to have the highest-quality-possible source audio file!

I am aware of this and would not use the above for music programming but find it
adequate for speech radio and the player hardware I use.

--
Mike Casswell