Offtopic noise: Re: BBC iPlayer viewers now need a...

Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk
Tue May 17 00:32:52 PDT 2016

On 17 May 2016 at 07:57, C E Macfarlane <c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk> wrote:
> Please see below ...

<snip>

When someone complained about your signature recently, I agreed
(albeit silently) with your arguments.

However, now that I see it at the top of _every_ post you make where
you make an inline reply, with your "Please see below ..." inserted I
must now agree that you are simply spamming your URL.

There is no reason for it to be there when you are replying inline. It
is far simpler to delete than to insert your text every time.

I know that you will not change your behaviour and do not expect you
to, this is not an opening for discussion, merely adding my
tuppenceworth.

Apologies, I though the reasons obvious. Apparently not.

How many people on this list do you think know about NNTP, let alone
use it still?

There are quite a few subscribers with tech backgrounds so I would
guess that it is a higher number than some other collections of people
on the internet

However, I would guess that we are still quite a small percentage.

You are asking probably 90-95% of this list to:

a) download and install a client (I am aware that some use email
clients with built in news reading capabilities, but the remaining
points stand)
b) gain access to an NNTP service (not all ISPs provide it any more)
c) configure the client
d) learn to use the client
e) learn new rules

People know web forums and people know email. Asking them to use a 90s
technology is, frankly, ridiculous.

>>     I tell you what, we should all invest in 9600 baud modems and
>>     start up a BBS :)
>
> Ah!  I see it now!  Bereft of logical argument, you prefer sarcasm instead.

I fall back to sarcasm when someone makes an argument as ridiculous
yours. It's either that or Godwin!