Is this list redundant?

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Mon May 16 12:14:05 PDT 2016

On 16 May 2016 at 19:32, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> Is there still a benefit to having this list at all? Would we be better
> off shutting it down entirely?

while there's some rubbish on this list, there are still valid support
questions being raised and an email list suits some people better than
others. (There's spam on the forums as well... and for me I find it
easier to filter out in email...)

> Likewise the git repository on git.infradead.org — if development is
> happening on github, there's no point in just mirroring it here, is
> there?

that one I can't make an argument for keeping.  the repo over on
github seems to be the source of everything nowadays (and I confess I
changed the ubuntu build scripts to pull from there some time ago).  I
wouldn't cry if the infradead copy disappeared.

> I was happy to provide services (and even try to learn a bit of
> perl) when Phil Lewis bowed out, but it now seems that there's a fairly
> capable community around it and it's not clear what benefit I continue
> to provide...

whatever is or isn't going on now, the contribution you've made to
get-iplayer by hosting it, particularly the speed with which you
picked it up after Phil Lewis stopped, is definitely appreciated.
Thank you for your support to the project over the years, and long may
it continue :-)

Thanks
Jon