BBC iPlayer viewers now need a TV licence to watch to catch up with their favourite shows

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Sat May 14 13:33:07 PDT 2016

Please see below ...

www.macfh.co.uk/CEMH.html

To be equally honest, I am quite fed up with people who seem to think that
they have a right to preach to others.

No system of funding anything is perfectly just.  You win some, you lose
some.  In common with many who are fortunate enough to reach my age, I have
survived various economic injustices.  Normally I don't choose to discuss
these, partly because I suspect many of us could say the same, but when
someone gets on their high arse, sorry horse, and preaches at me, perhaps it
becomes time to see the wider context.

So, as just one example, I will mention legislation that once decreed I
should contribute to local government four times as much as formerly at a
time when my income halved from what it had been formerly, and that a
wealthy woman living alone in a large mansion contributed to local
government less than the gardner she employed to maintain the grounds.  This
legislation proved so controversial and unworkable that it brought down the
then Prime Minister, and was soon revoked and replaced with a slightly
fairer system, but, needless to say, none of its victims such as myself were
ever repayed even a small fraction of the extortionate sums that we'd had no
choice but to pay.

The iPlayer loophole is just that, a loophole, which, quite rightly, is to
be closed, but until it is I consider that taking advantage of it repays me
some of what I've lost through previous injustices.  Of course, if your
magic moral fairies could repay me for all that I've lost through previous
injustices such as the one I've described, I would now be richer, and
thereby better able to afford not only the licence fee, but also the
receiving equipment that would make it a legal necessity for me to pay it
even under current law.  But, as things stand your moral fairies are nowhere
to be seen, I am quite poor, my house needs urgent repairs, and I can't
afford and don't have any equipment that requires me to pay the licence fee,
so I don't pay it.  I will when I am required to do so by law.

Doubtless the above will displease you, and maybe others, but I care not.
Those who see the world only in black and white tend sooner or later to come
a cropper because of their limited vision and understanding.