Spurious write permission error

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue May 3 09:09:18 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 08:48:47AM -0500, artisticforge . wrote:

> second, I do not do "Windows". That said, any operating system should
> prevent the deletion of a file that is in use.

Indeed. However, Unix-a-likes do let you delete directory entries for
files that are in use - the file is only deleted when there are no
directory entries for it and no open file handles left. That's not
quite the same, of course, but in unless one is being unnaturally
precise in one's writing it is rare for people to discriminate between
them.

On Windows, on the other hand, my understanding is that you can't delete
a dirent for a file that is in use.

> MacOSX & Linux will not let me delete a directory if that directory is
> the "current working directory" for a process.

This is technically true - if you 'rmdir' a directory that is some
process's cwd then the dirent will go away but the inode will remain
until it is no longer in use. However, you won't be able to do anything
meaningful with it.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

I think the most difficult moment that anyone could face is seeing
their domestic servants, whether maid or drivers, run away
  -- Abdul Rahman Al-Sheikh, writing on 25 Jan 2004 at
     http://www.arabnews.com/node/243486