Bl**dy Beeb Truncations on iPlayer

James Scholes james at jls-radio.com
Thu Jun 30 11:10:46 PDT 2016

CJB wrote:
> The Beeb says that it adds 2 mins to the start and end of a prog. but
> if  programme is say 30 mins long then the file should be 34 mins not
> 28 or less etc.!!

This is no longer true in the majority of cases.  There have been real
efforts over the past year or so to limit the audio of radio programs to
their actual durations, cutting out the waffle from previous programs
and continuity announcers.  Something which, to me, makes a lot of
sense, although obviously this occasionally results in audio being cut a
little bit too much.

It's worth noting that I've just downloaded every program you pointed
out in your original post.  The durations you stated are spot on, so the
audio has not been edited since your message was sent to this list, but
if you'd actually listened to the audio you would've realised that there
is no program content missing whatsoever.  So I don't really understand
what you're complaining about?  Very few programs, from the BBC or
elsewhere, are exactly their stated durations in length, certainly not
older programs which were performed much loosely.  Why would you rather
have 34 minutes of audio when the actual program itself is complete and
only clocks in at 28?
--
James Scholes
http://twitter.com/JamesScholes